h o m e / n e w s / b l o g / f o r u m s / r a n t s / d v d s / b o o k s / i n t e r v i e w s / m u s i c / l i n k s / c o n t a c t / s h o p

Atrocities Cinema.com Forum Index Atrocities Cinema.com
Extreme Horror for an Extreme Age
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannibal Holocaust
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Atrocities Cinema.com Forum Index -> Cannibals/Zombies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ribbons
Charter Member
Charter Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2004
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Cannibal Holocaust Reply with quote

i just bought this movie a couple of days ago on dvd. it's been released in a two disc, limited edition, ultra bit version. only 4000 copies apparently.
i don't know what to think of yet. it was an ok movie. gorey and raw. after watching it i quickly realized how similar the balir witch project is to this movie, the plot and especially the ending! i've seen cannibal ferox too but it was a long time ago and i don't remember much about it. anyway... if you're into cannibal stuff you gotta watch this one!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dominic
Charter Member
Charter Member


Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Posts: 356
Location: Hell in Holland....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also seen this movie it was ok only thing i hated about it is the fact they used real live animals (turtle scene e.g.)
_________________
Kitano: Life is a game. So fight for survival and see if you're worth it.
Kitano: So today's lesson is... you kill each other off 'til there's only one left. Nothing's against the rules.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ribbons
Charter Member
Charter Member


Joined: 29 Dec 2004
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... the animal protetion laws in those weren't very strict. so they had the freedom to do whatever they wanted with them.

Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
davidltamarin
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 162
Location: Interzone, MA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Cannibal Holocaust Reply with quote

This is one of my favorite films of all time, it is definitely hardcore, I am a big fan of director Ruggero Deodato. You can definitely see the film's influence in films like Blair Witch Project.

I agree though that the animal killing was horrible. I love gore and violence but I love animals and hate to see them killed for real. The animal violence was not necessary and is the film's biggest drawback.

I have this on tape, the quality is OK, but I must get this on DVD. As far as I am concerned this is better than both Jungle Holocaust or Cannibal Ferox. But if you liked this you might want to check out Jungle Holocaust which was made about the same time.

A lot of people consider this the most violent and extreme film they have ever seen. I liked not just the gore but the story and the fate of the people on the expedition. John Morghen as the coked-up lunatic was the highlight of the film. Pretty intense.
_________________
David L Tamarin
www.myspace.com/davidltamarin
"Her mouth will make an interesting urinal."
-Bloodsucking Freaks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin


Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1098
Location: Washington, D.C. (the ninth circle of hell)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cannibal Holocaust Reply with quote

davidltamarin wrote:
This is one of my favorite films of all time, it is definitely hardcore, I am a big fan of director Ruggero Deodato. You can definitely see the film's influence in films like Blair Witch Project.

I agree though that the animal killing was horrible. I love gore and violence but I love animals and hate to see them killed for real. The animal violence was not necessary and is the film's biggest drawback.

I have this on tape, the quality is OK, but I must get this on DVD. As far as I am concerned this is better than both Jungle Holocaust or Cannibal Ferox. But if you liked this you might want to check out Jungle Holocaust which was made about the same time.

A lot of people consider this the most violent and extreme film they have ever seen. I liked not just the gore but the story and the fate of the people on the expedition. John Morghen as the coked-up lunatic was the highlight of the film. Pretty intense.


So, it's unanimous...the animal killings were reprehensible and inexcusible, but Cannibal Holocaust remains a classic and the penultimate entry in what S. Bissette calls the "Third World Cannibal Film Cycle".

Jungle Holocaust is an interesting, odd little film. It's got far more in common with A Man Called Horse with its brutal scenes of "native initiation/torture testing" than it does with most of the other Italian cannibal flicks. It's also one of the more misogynistic films in that subgenre. Me Me Lai just can't fucking move without getting raped by someone, can she?

From a pure goofy, giddy perspective, Cannibal Ferox is a total hoot, and is one of my favorite exploitation films of all time. John Morghen is just so absolutely crazed and hysterical...truly memorable stuff. It plays far better as a sick comedy than as a horror film. Plus, I just love the fact that Morghen walks around and calls everybody "twat" all the time. That's gotta be one of my favorite swear words ever...

Still, the influence of Cannibal Holocaust should never be underestimated. Movies like Blair Witch, Last Broadcast, etc. owe their very existence to Ruggero Deodato's classic...

Great, disturbing stuff.
_________________
Twisted Evil
http://www.atrocitiescinema.com
extreme horror for an extreme age...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
davidltamarin
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 162
Location: Interzone, MA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannibal Holocaust Reply with quote

[quote="davidltamarin"] John Morghen as the coked-up lunatic was the highlight of the film. Pretty intense.[/quote]

Oops, I think I mixed up Cannibal Ferox with Cannibal Holocaust, its kind of hard to tell those movies apart when you've seen them all. So John Morghen was in Cannibal Ferox, not Cannibal Holocaust, correct?
Sorry.
Now I have to watch both of them again along with Jungle Holocaust so I know which is which. Actually, that will be a great triple feature.
_________________
David L Tamarin
www.myspace.com/davidltamarin
"Her mouth will make an interesting urinal."
-Bloodsucking Freaks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin


Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1098
Location: Washington, D.C. (the ninth circle of hell)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannibal Holocaust Reply with quote

davidltamarin wrote:
Oops, I think I mixed up Cannibal Ferox with Cannibal Holocaust, its kind of hard to tell those movies apart when you've seen them all. So John Morghen was in Cannibal Ferox, not Cannibal Holocaust, correct?
Sorry.
Now I have to watch both of them again along with Jungle Holocaust so I know which is which. Actually, that will be a great triple feature.


Yep...John Morghen is in "Ferox" not "C. Holocaust". I didn't want to say anything...

You're right, though...that's some triple feature. Just add "Zombie Holocaust" (aka "Dr. Butcher MD") to that mix, and you'll have yourself a regular hoe-down!

...with intestines...

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
_________________
Twisted Evil
http://www.atrocitiescinema.com
extreme horror for an extreme age...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
davidltamarin
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 162
Location: Interzone, MA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take those four movies and add the Stacey Keach jungle cannibal movie, I think Slave of the Cannibal God, there's all the jungle cannibalism you could want. I think Zombi 3 or Zombi 4 took place in a jungle or island too

Is Deodato a hypocrite?

At the end of the film Cannibal Holocaust when they are looking at the footage the characters make some statements about how the images are so terrible they should never be seen and that they are exploitative. Yet Deodato obviously exploited natives and animals himself. So what is he trying to say? Is he trying to jutsify or criticize the violence in his own movie
In House on the Edge of the Hill he pulls a similar trick that forces you to question who is the victim.
Oh yeah- I just saw Deodato's Cut and Run, it was classic, a jungle movie similar to CH, and it had Richard Lynch, one of my favorite screen villians, and Michael Berrymen for Hills Have Eyes and the new Rob Zombie flick.
_________________
David L Tamarin
www.myspace.com/davidltamarin
"Her mouth will make an interesting urinal."
-Bloodsucking Freaks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin


Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1098
Location: Washington, D.C. (the ninth circle of hell)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidltamarin wrote:
take those four movies and add the Stacey Keach jungle cannibal movie, I think Slave of the Cannibal God, there's all the jungle cannibalism you could want. I think Zombi 3 or Zombi 4 took place in a jungle or island too

Is Deodato a hypocrite?

At the end of the film Cannibal Holocaust when they are looking at the footage the characters make some statements about how the images are so terrible they should never be seen and that they are exploitative. Yet Deodato obviously exploited natives and animals himself. So what is he trying to say? Is he trying to jutsify or criticize the violence in his own movie
In House on the Edge of the Hill he pulls a similar trick that forces you to question who is the victim.
Oh yeah- I just saw Deodato's Cut and Run, it was classic, a jungle movie similar to CH, and it had Richard Lynch, one of my favorite screen villians, and Michael Berrymen for Hills Have Eyes and the new Rob Zombie flick.


Deodato, as reprehensible as his actions might be, is not a hypocrite. It's a simple technique...it basically lays the blame and implications at the feet of the viewer. I think it's almost "existentialist" in a way. In watching what Deodato serves up, we are indicted in the crimes as much as the "lost" filmmakers are. The key is the "film within a film" structure. We are watching the...ahem...atrocities take place through the same eyes (alternately) as the filmmakers and the people reviewing the "found footage". We are supposed to feel disgust at what we see...it's a horror movie, after all. But we're also supposed to feel somewhat guilty for what we're watching. That's why "Cannibal Holocaust" succeeds where so many other cannibal flicks fail. It's disgusting and cruel, and we are (subconciously) made to feel that we are taking part in that very cruelty. That's not to say, of course, that Deodato stumbles a bit over his own logic. I think he carries things a bit too far at the very end. The denouement is uneccesary, to me, and it only serves to wag an accusing finger at the audience (as if we didn't feel guilty enough). Take out that final line or two, and you have a perfect cannibal movie. As it stands, I don't think Deodato is hypocritical...just a bit preachy and hamfisted.

Thoughts?
_________________
Twisted Evil
http://www.atrocitiescinema.com
extreme horror for an extreme age...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
unas11
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training


Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 119

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering something so i figured id come to you guys for this. considering some of you may be collectors of films, and own many copys of the same film. but i just ordered the grindhouse edition of this movie, and was wondering how up to par it is up to the other editions of this flick??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dominic
Charter Member
Charter Member


Joined: 15 Dec 2004
Posts: 356
Location: Hell in Holland....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry mate cant help you... i only have one copy of this flick and it came in a multi-dvd collection box
_________________
Kitano: Life is a game. So fight for survival and see if you're worth it.
Kitano: So today's lesson is... you kill each other off 'til there's only one left. Nothing's against the rules.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin


Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1098
Location: Washington, D.C. (the ninth circle of hell)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unas11 wrote:
i was wondering something so i figured id come to you guys for this. considering some of you may be collectors of films, and own many copys of the same film. but i just ordered the grindhouse edition of this movie, and was wondering how up to par it is up to the other editions of this flick??


Unas11...I personally own three editions of Cannibal Holocaust; one on beat-up VHS, a DVD edition from EC Releasing (see my review for that edition here: http://www.atrocitiescinema.com/DVD/cannibalholocaust.html ), and the new "25th Anniversary Collector's Edition from Grindhouse releasing. Since it seems that you've ordered the Grindhouse edition, I can safely say "congratulations" on that particular purchase, as that edition is definitely the best version of CH to own. The extras, packaging, quality of transfer, quality of sound, and everything else about the release make it the absolute best possible edition of Cannibal Holocaust that is currently available, and is likely the best that CH will get any time in the forseeable future.

Does that help?
Cheers!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
_________________
Twisted Evil
http://www.atrocitiescinema.com
extreme horror for an extreme age...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Guest






PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes yes it does, and thank you for the info. i am waitting for this dvd, ill be happy when i get it.
brandon
p.s. i wish this forum was more active then it is. Sad but oh well
Back to top
Guest






PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got the flick, and quite a low number 130 out of 11,111 so im happy.
Back to top
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin


Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1098
Location: Washington, D.C. (the ninth circle of hell)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
just got the flick, and quite a low number 130 out of 11,111 so im happy.


Groovy...
Have you had a chance to watch it yet?

...it's frickin' awesome...

BTW, do me a favor and sign in before you post...no big deal, but try to remember, m'kay?

Cheers...
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
_________________
Twisted Evil
http://www.atrocitiescinema.com
extreme horror for an extreme age...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Atrocities Cinema.com Forum Index -> Cannibals/Zombies All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group