h o m e / n e w s / b l o g / f o r u m s / r a n t s / d v d s / b o o k s / i n t e r v i e w s / m u s i c / l i n k s / c o n t a c t / s h o p

Atrocities Cinema.com Forum Index Atrocities Cinema.com
Extreme Horror for an Extreme Age

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVD Regions & Format for PC/Mac...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Atrocities Cinema.com Forum Index -> DVD Tech
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unas11
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell, id throw in what little money i have to try to release that thing. cause i know people would gooble it the fuck up. so ill see if i can find who actually has the rights to that movie in the usa or the world over. i did read one thing, just a blurb, about how unearthed vidio would like to release it.
i went to borders today, and typed it into the pc. the only non bootleg copy i can find by them (keep in mind they do not import, movies, or do different regions) was a vhs tape, for 80-90 bucks. FUCK THAT. and yes there is a theory that the criterion collection did have a problem with copyright laws, so that is why it was pulled, and only 6000 copys got out. and is considered to be the rarest dvd out there. the other teory, is that it disrupted alot of districts obsenity laws. which i dont think could be the reason. they would just post the shit online, and sell it.
funny thing, is america is the land of alot of easy access extreme movies, but salo is not one of them, and the uk its easy to get, where as ch, aum, au, tcm were or are banned. the reasoning, cause all the acts in salo, were commited but the actors didnt seem to be enjoying the acts, thus its not pro those acts. (read on the bfi website)
the facets edition i am starting to believe is a bootleg. which i refuse to buy. fuck bootlegs. i own one, and i plan on buying a real copy cause its now easy to get to the mass market. (eraserhead by the way, got it in south korea years ago)
but anyways back to the point, i will do what i can to find out who owns the rights and see what they say about purchasing the rights to the movie.
unas11
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do got a mac, with a dvd player, im pretty sure i could hack for all regions, are you sure about pal though??
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unas11 wrote:
i do got a mac, with a dvd player, im pretty sure i could hack for all regions, are you sure about pal though??

From the famous "DVD FAQ":
"Most DVD PC software and hardware can play both NTSC and PAL video and both Dolby Digital and MPEG audio. Some PCs can only display the converted video on the computer monitor, but others can output it as a video signal for a TV."

In other words, your computer should be able to play both NTSC and PAL on your computer screen without any problems...region encoding is another story, of course, but with an appropriate firmware hack, you might be able to get away with hacking your drive for all-region playback.

It probably goes without saying, but I will NOT take any responsibility for anything that happens to you or your computer if you hack your firmware. That's not directed at you specifically, unas, but to ANYONE reading this thread.

Anyway, long story short, both of my DVD drives on my PC can (and regularly DO) play back both PAL and NTSC DVD's with no special action on my part...
Very Happy
unas11
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh okies, so i can do this and blame you completely for it right??
but you got my interest, cause i got a laptop, and i know i can get a cable to go straight to the tv.
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unas11 wrote:
oh okies, so i can do this and blame you completely for it right??
but you got my interest, cause i got a laptop, and i know i can get a cable to go straight to the tv.

Laughing Laughing

Yeah...try it and ye'll get tha back o' mah hand, laddy!

It really ought to work for you. I haven't tried doing any "TV out" experiments as yet, but there's no compelling reason to think it shouldn't work, as long as your TV is capable of receiving S-Video signal, and as long as you remember to set your video card's options "second monitor" settings to the appropriate resolution/aspect ratio. You should be set...
But again, I'm not responsible.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Let me know how it works out for you.

EDIT: This makes me think that I should create a new room in the forums devoted to "DVD Tech", or something like that. I know for a fact that we're not the only two curious parties on this subject. What do you think?
unas11
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah that would work, cause i know there are many flicks that i want to get, that are only in different regions (which easily hackable) but the pal is a problem, and i do like how you moved this away from the salo talk, cause this really has gone away from salo. i personally need to stop being cheap and by myself a pal dvd player.
but back to the tech thing, yeah that would be good cause there is alot of movies out there that come out unrated, or with more extras, that come from only come from different countrys. so yeah that would work. anyways im going to go hack my pc, and blame you. youll be hearing from my lawer soon. :twisted:
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooooooooo...
Razz

There are a lot of places where you can get stand alone players capable of playing/converting NTSC-PAL (and vice versa), and from any region. So, if you'd like to curl up on the couch with an uncut R2 PAL version of SALO (with a nice warm bucket of steaming hot feces...ewwwww), the stand-alone is the way to go.

Keep yer lawyer's feeeeelthy mitts offa me!
Twisted Evil
unas11
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and make sure i got a nice cool cup of urine to boot. mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm makes me think of the mentors song golden showers.
and a note, when i talk about urine, im refering to the book, cause there was alot of urine drinking in that.
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unas11 wrote:
and make sure i got a nice cool cup of urine to boot. mmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm makes me think of the mentors song golden showers.
and a note, when i talk about urine, im refering to the book, cause there was alot of urine drinking in that.

...and thus, we're back on SALO...
Laughing

I've got a couple of editions/translations of De Sade's "120 Days of Sodom"...it's not an easy read, but it's probably the most vile piece of sociopolitical literature ever written...
To those of you who have yet to read this book, go do so immediately. Like I said, it's disgusting, but it's supposed to be.
unas11
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i own one copy of the book, got it for my christmas, a year or two ago, and couldnt finish it. i only got through the kids pissing in the preachers mouths, and the preacher teaching the girl how to give a hand job. does it get much much better??
i put the book down cause i didnt like the fact that children were doing this stuff.
dominic
Charter Member
Charter Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on your laptop you shouldn't have any problem playing a pal dvd..
(i should know.. i have alot of ntsc dvds...)

As for hacking your firmware.. over here we just go to the store with our dvd player and they "free"our dvd player (only $5).
yep you gotta love europe!
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goddamn Europeans and your stupid goddamn liberal fair-use policies!
Laughing

That's the kind of thing that would make the FBI come sniffin' here in the good ol' U.S. of A.
Crying or Very sad

Whatever...the creative and resourceful person can get around most anything...
BB
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
http://www.videohelp.com/

That is a great site for gettin unlockin codes for Ur home DVD player (not sure about US ones tho)

Just click the DVD Hacks link & search for Ur make & model.

I got my liteON DVD recorder & my old pacific DVD player unlocked & made fully region free & macrovision free (in some cases) with the advice on that site.

Most home players have hidden menu's to allow service depts to check & reset them so it worth lookin at the above site & findin the way to activate them Smile

Peace,
BB
unas11
Slayer in Training
Slayer in Training

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love having a multi region pal/ntsc dvd player. have 3 around the house. one portable can move around the house Very Happy , one in my room, one in living room, and my laptop.
webmaster
Site/Forum Admin
Site/Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, not that I condone that sort of thing ( Rolling Eyes ), but I've hacked each of my DVD players (including those on my various computers) to be completely region free and PAL/NTSC compliant.

Watching movies without limitations is fun. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Atrocities Cinema.com Forum Index -> DVD Tech All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: